It’s almost October and I can already feel Fall in the air. Can you? Here in Ohio, we are fortunate to experience all four seasons… and I can feel a cool crispness to the air just before Autumn sets in. A few things come to mind at this time of year: Bon Fires, Hoodies, Football and Apples! Before I know it, Apple Season will be in full effect.
Do you take advantage of the apple harvest? I have many Apple Recipes and I wanted to make sure to share a recipe with you before time gets away. For many years, my Grandma served the yummiest of Apple Cakes… or, as she called it: Apple Squares.
I bet you may even have had “Apple Squares” or maybe have even made them yourself! I am not sure where my Grandma got the recipe from, but she had made it since as far back as I can remember. And, I would like to share it with you (p.s. if this is your original recipe, just let me know so I can give you credit!). Be sure to get an index card and a pen ready, you will want to add this to your recipe box!
Apple Squares Cake Recipe
- 1 cup of Flour
- 1 tsp of Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp of Salt
- 1/4 tsp of Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup of Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup of Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup of Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of Chopped Apple (apple of choice)
- PLUS… 2 Tbs of Sugar & 2 tsp of Cinnamon (for topping)
- Pre-heat oven to 350*
- Peel and chop/dice apples (amount of apples will vary per size of fruit, but you will need 6 1/2 cups!)
- Sift together: Flour, Baking Powder, Salt & Cinnamon
- Cream together: Butter, Brown Sugar, Sugar.
- Add Vanilla and Egg to the creamed mixture.
- Add the Sifted ingredients.
- Mix in the Apples
- Spray a 11×13″ pan with Non-stick Cooking Spray
- Pour Mixture evenly into pan
- On the side, mix your Sugar and Cinnamon (topping mixture)
- Sprinkle topping mixture evenly over the top of the mixture
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, depending on your oven (just don’t burn the treat!)
- Allow time to cool, or eat warm… your choice!
- Grandma had told me, “Allow to cool then cut into squares and serve on a platter!” :)
Let me know if you try this scrumpcious Fall Recipe!